Australian Rules Football (affectionately known as ‘Aussie Rules’ or ‘Footy’) is a code of football featuring high-scoring, hard-hitting and free-flowing action from start to finish.
While the traditional game features 18 payers per team – playing on a cricket sized oval – a new adaptation of the sport for American football fields is known as Footy 9s.
With fewer players on the field, Footy 9s makes it much easier to field a club or competition in your area – while still preserving everything that makes Aussie Rules the world’s greatest team sport!
Footy 9s has been developed by Australian Football International as a standardized format of game play that eliminates the barriers of participation, and makes it easy for a new American player to be ‘game ready’ in minutes, even with no prior expsoure to traditional Australian football!
THE BASICS OF FOOTY 9s
Footy 9s is an exciting new take on traditional Aussie Rules football – adapted for the USA!
· Footy 9s matches are played on American Football fields.
· Each team consists of 9 players – 3 defenders, 3 forwards and 3 midfielders.
· The game starts with a jump ball in the middle of the field.
· The object is to score more goals than the opposing team.
· A goal is scored when the ball is kicked through the posts.
· There are no behind posts.
· The ball is moved around the field by either a kick, handball or forward pass.
· Players can go anywhere on the field and there is no off-side rule.
· As in basketball, players must bounce the ball when they run (every 10 yards).
Check out this exclusive video from the Footy 9s 2017 development trials in Melbourne: